Home » Developer & Programmer » Forms » Magnatic Encoder
Magnatic Encoder [message #186719] Wed, 09 August 2006 04:06 Go to next message
shadow24
Hi
I have created one screen which print staff details such as ID_NO, NAME, DESIGNATION, EMP_PICTURE AND SO ON. The type of card I am using is a magnatig card where it has that black strip on the back of the card... My question is if I have the magnatic device installed on the printer, How I can encode my card where I can make the application to write the ID_NO for the employee on that strip (back of the card like credit card for example.... where I can use this card to open doors or for varevication on staff..

Lookforward to hear from someone ASAP

Thanks for your time and consideration

nss
Re: Magnatic Encoder [message #186889 is a reply to message #186719] Thu, 10 August 2006 01:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
djmartin
Account Moderator
You have posted your question in the 'Test' forum. Normally no-one replies to messages in this forum as it is for 'testing' - doh! What Oracle product are you using in your attempt to write to a 'card'?

David
Re: Magnatic Encoder [message #186931 is a reply to message #186889] Thu, 10 August 2006 03:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
shadow24
ok smart a part I didn't no weather I post the issue or some where else
i'm kinda new here at this place

What I am using is just a form that query employees data as I mention previously and all what I want is to encode the card where it make the card more valuable
here is the story:
The organization I am in right now has bought a stupid software called EPI Suite. This software is kinda weired and difficult to understand it works in three ways
Front End if I am not wrong is VB
Back End is Access database and it has to be linked to our database which is Database 9i. The system about printing details about employees like EMP_NO,NAME,DESIGNATION,DEPARTMENT... we created a view where it can read emp_dtls. The system went for a while working along perfectly but after awhile we find out it ain't professional work but all right to keep going with it. so recently we decided to add one more field to the view and after that the EPI Suite software didn't function and it took the company forever to fix so we decide to design one form like the one which EPI Suite has, only few records and save the image on the database and print the card.
We created the form and one report to print the data on the card
everything is fine I don't have problem with the form or the report at all. our application is same now as EPI Suite accept that the EPI has built in technology which encode the card by EMP_NO to enable the employees to access some gates we allow him for......
I want to have a software or a package that oracle provide or a any company to enable me to encode the card instead of making the card normally.. what I mean by that is to make the card more valuable is to make the card be swept throw doors, gates and so on instead of printing data on it and that's it...
I hope you got my point
P.S: type of card we are using is almost like credit card for example... it has black strip on the back of the card.. see your card if you have one and you will understand my point clearly
looking forward to hear from you soon
thanks
nss
Re: Magnatic Encoder [message #186965 is a reply to message #186931] Thu, 10 August 2006 06:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Frank
I think you will have to find out what data the original application sends to the card-printer to be stored on the magnetic strip.
Re: Magnatic Encoder [message #187095 is a reply to message #186931] Thu, 10 August 2006 21:10 Go to previous message
djmartin
Account Moderator
Okay ... I assume that by forms and reports you mean Oracle Forms and Oracle Reports, and as you are using Oracle Database 9i I assume that you are using Forms 6i. Please confirm this by saying either 'Yes - we have Forms 6i' or 'No - we have Forms xx' and then tell us which version you are using.

I am going to move this thread to the Forms Forum.

What is the make and model of the card writer that you are using? You will either have to communicate with it via an API or if it is configured as a printer then you will have to print to it.

David
Previous Topic: problem IN "UPDATE" IN MY COMPUTER ONLY
Next Topic: Changing the background color of the visual attribute property
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Sep 20 10:29:28 CDT 2024