Home » Developer & Programmer » Forms » sorting without quering???
sorting without quering??? [message #141852] Wed, 12 October 2005 09:06 Go to next message
ramisy2k
Hello,

is there any way that we can sort a block by a column without executing the query again...if yes then please tell me how can i achieve this,,

I have a form based on view made on columns form three different tables having 5000 records and i have a button that sorts a particular column in ascending/descending order when pressed..

I am currently uisng the execute_query et the end of my sorting code. and is taking 8 seconds to sort the block when the button is pressed.
the block show 24 records at a time..

I just want to know if there is any way that we can sort the data without quering again as the data is already in the form..and it will not take 8 seconds..

thanks in advance
regards,
Re: sorting without quering??? [message #141871 is a reply to message #141852] Wed, 12 October 2005 10:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Maaher
In short: no.

MHE
Re: sorting without quering??? [message #141954 is a reply to message #141852] Wed, 12 October 2005 20:30 Go to previous message
djmartin
Account Moderator
Actually the data isn't in the form, only 24 records are in the form. Change the 'order_by' using 'set_block_property' and re-execute the query. I think you need to work on the database side of your problem, not the form side. Do you have database permission to access the tables directly? If yes, create a new 'mega' view that doesn't use views but joins the tables themselves. If this is not good then try various 'HINTS' in the select statements to which you do have access. If still no good then read about basing blocks on procedures (if you have views in your final view then I strongly doubt that you are doing updates through it so you won't need the normally associated update/delete/insert routines). These are really extremely effective in returning the information you require quickly as you have FULL control over how each view and table is accessed in building your return data. It DOESN'T do a 'full populate' as is done by a view.

David
Previous Topic: Oracle Forms - Tab Canvas
Next Topic: oracle froms 6
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Sep 20 00:47:31 CDT 2024