Home » Developer & Programmer » Forms » Need help for the ORA-01779 cannot modify a column which maps to a non key-preserved table
Need help for the ORA-01779 cannot modify a column which maps to a non key-preserved table [message #109718] Mon, 28 February 2005 01:31 Go to next message
SRM1
Hello All,

I have one already developed screen.It is based on a view.
User is allowed to insert the record on the screen except one "consolidation type" field. Value for this comes from the other table (for user it is given on the 2nd canvas
Means the scenerio is like this 1st canvas (of view)-> calls 2nd canvas(of some other table)-> button on 2nd canvas assigns the value of consolidation type to that of the 1st canvas).
But whenever i am inserting the record on this screen(on the 1st canvas by F10), i am getting one error - FRM - 40508 :Oracle error : Unable to insert record and when I see the description of this error from application by "shift+F1" , i am getting "ORA-01779: cannot modify a column which maps to a non key-preserved table" related to column "consolidation_type".

Please suggest me how to rectify this problem.
I am a programmer at junior level.If u want some more information , please ask me.

Thanks in advance.

SRM.

[Updated on: Mon, 28 February 2005 01:44]

Report message to a moderator

Re: Need help for the ORA-01779 cannot modify a column which maps to a non key-preserved table [message #110145 is a reply to message #109718] Thu, 03 March 2005 13:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
markl_af
Sounds like maybe the database item property is set to YES on this item, when it should be NO. When you say you're accessing a view, is the view itself updateable?
Re: Need help for the ORA-01779 cannot modify a column which maps to a non key-preserved table [message #110156 is a reply to message #109718] Thu, 03 March 2005 14:32 Go to previous message
Steve Corey
sounds to me that the table the view is based on does not have a PK column. I was hitting this problem myself and creating the PK constraint solved the issue.

Is the view based on a custom table or a standard Oracle table? If it is a custom table, I would bet that you need to add constraints so that the record you are trying to modify/insert is uniquely identifiable.

HTH,
Steve
Previous Topic: Enforce data integrity --- one more stupid question
Next Topic: Outlook Preview
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Sep 19 18:24:12 CDT 2024